Re: [CH] Travel Advice Needed

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:26:39 -0600

Dave & Joan Sullivan wrote:

> All,
>
> My husband is headed to Carbondale, Illinois next month to teach a class for
> a couple weeks.  Even tho originally from Springfield, IL, and a decided
> virgin in all things chile when we met, fifteen years of life with a native
> Californian & residences in San Diego, Honolulu, San Francisco & Sonoma has
> had a profound effect on him.
>
> He now travels with a bottle of Cholula wherever he goes.  I hope he doesn't
> get stopped by airport security.
>
> He's looking for places to eat that will offer fresh and even exciting food.
> No criteria re: price, etc., only that the food is honest.
>
> All ideas welcome.

I can't believe that anyone from Springpuddle, IL can be a chile virgin.
After all, we are the home of two of the best brands of chilli in a can.
Chilli Man - originated by the late (Sept. 2001) Joe Defrates - the only
person to win both CASI and ICS championships; and Ray's Chilli from
Joe's uncle, Ray DeFrates. Not to mention the Den Chilli Parlour, the
DEW Chili Parlor (which was active up until three years ago. And all the
Thai, Chinese, Mexican and other ethnic places.

OTOH, Carbondale is the deep boonies once away from campus. Redneck
cuisine (we're getting close to y'all and shet ma mouf land here) isn't
noted for much beyond red eye gravy and overcooked veggies. He'll be so
far back in Illinois' version of Appalachia that the main source of
entertainment is watching the hoot owls screw the chickens.

I'd suggest that hubby stop in his old home town and visit Cook's on
North Grand Avenue West to stock up on hot sauces, spices, stc. and
enjoy a tasty "kicked up" meal while he's there. Or stop by the Den to
get Mary Anne to put him up a quart or two of Firebrand Chilli to go.
Carefully rationed two quarts will carry him through the first week so
he can do a replenishment run on the weekend. It's only about 3.5 hours
each way. <G>

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider