Re: [CH] Greetings

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:44:30 -0600

ChileApex wrote:

> Hello, my name is Rob and I just signed up for the Chile-Heads list.

 Hi Rob.  And welcome to the list.

> After watching "Eat the Heat" on FoodTV, I thought that my habit of
> eating fresh jalapenos, serranos, and habs with just about everything
> and my general love for all things spicy just might make me a Chilehead.

  I would say that's a safe bet...  Hopefully you'll learn some new tricks,
and share some of your current ones.  I don't believe that there is much of
anything involving this hobby that can't be learned from someone here.  It
really is not only an invaluable resource, but a wonderful community as
well.

> I am interested in growing some peppers at home, but I live in a
> townhouse with no yard. We have a second story balcony which faces west,
> so any plants would only get sun in the afternoon. Any advice on how and
> what varieties I may be able to grow in containers would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks! :)
>
> Rob

First of all, YMMV, with your growing in CA. :

  I have exactly the same situation here.  Been in a second floor condo with
a West facing balcony for the past 4.5 years.  I usually grow about 20
plants in my parents garden, and five to seven here on the balcony,
depending on what interests me that year.  If you go with containers (as
opposed to building some type of bed on your balcony, which I've never tried
but have considered), be sure to use large ones if you are concerned about a
decent yield.  I don't always use very large containers myself, since I
don't cook as much as I should, and generally grind most of my "crop" into
powder.  I'm going to 5 Gal. buckets next year, just to see what kind of
production increase it yields.  More of a curiosity / experimentation thing
than anything else.  If, like me, you don't bother building any kind of an
overhanging shaded area for them, you'll need to watch that afternoon sun.
I generally have to water frequently during stretches of very hot, sunny
days (yes, we do have those in WI).  Container plants have a tendency to
dry, and consequently wilt, fairly quickly.  (Although this might be a good
thing, If you are looking to stress your plants.)  I have considered
building a framework for some shade cloth to shelter them a little, but have
not tried it yet.

  As far as varieties goes, Susan ("The Chile Woman") has a little symbol in
her catalog next to the varieties that lend themselves well to container
growing.  Even if you want to start with seed, and not order plants from
her, she still might be kind enough to send you a catalog for reference.
She is a list member, and has apparently given wonderful service to many
here, including myself.  My own experience is rather limited, since as I
mentioned, I do have the option of my parents garden.  But I can tell you
that I have had wonderful success with Cayenne, and Fluorescent Purple in
containers.

  Welcome again, and good luck!

--
Erich