[CH] progress report

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor (SCOTT.PARKHURST@LEAVENWORTH.ARMY.MIL)
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:35:34 -0000

Matt wrote:
> I hope that all Northern Hemisphere CH-gardens are
> coming along nicely.  I'd love to hear some updates.

   All my seedlings are doing quite well.  The only
exception being the tepins which failed to sprout.
The datils are much smaller than the others but are
healthy.  The aji amarillo are going like crazy.  I
don't know if they will have serious heat this time
or just the beautiful color and excellent flavor like
2 years ago (seeds from Seeds of Change both times).

   All have been transplanted from the starter soil
to individual 16 oz. plastic cups (the red ones you
see at keg parties).  After one season trying those
abominable peat pots and fighting mold (gray, green,
blue and white) I switched to the plastic cups.  I used
a soldering iron to melt 3 drain holes in the bottoms
of each (don't try to poke drain holes, you'll crack
the cups).  Put them in a plastic tray to water from
the bottom.  They last for years and have plenty of
room for root growth.

Scott... KCK