Re: [CH] chile beans

Harold James (mdspice@hotmail.com)
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:23:33 -0400

Sometime the best way is a simple way. My grand mother used salt (to taste),
white pepper (to taste), chicken stock, garlic (4 cloves crushed), 1 small
yellow onion (diced) and ham cut into one-inch cubes (sometimes 6 ham hocks
(whole) if you cannot tell she was from the south (Mississippi)). Wash beans
place on side.

In a 8qt pot place 2tbs of butter in pan sauté onions until clear add 1 tsp
salt and ˝ tsp pepper add ham brown on medium-high heat for about 3 minutes
add 8 cups chicken stock (can be made with bullion cubes or cans of stock,
homemade is best but takes time) add beans cook until tender on medium heat
adjust liquid (water) as needed (keep liquid about 3 inches above beans) at
this point taste adjust salt and pepper to taste, next step is to take out 1
cup of beans only smash with a fork and place smashed beans back into liquid
cook for 20 minutes or until you get a creamy not thick sauce on beans. Can
serve with rice and cornbread. Add hot sauce after in bowls.