Re: [CH] tree leaves? & Rocoto Project & meandering.

Organic Chilli Grower (chilli@organicgardenerau.com)
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:40:50 +0800

Yep me again, I have been lurking for months without sating a word and then
i pop up twice in one day. Keep it growing and save the seed as I would be
interested in some as would many others on the list.
I know from my younger days  (Yup, Monty Python days Erich) that certain
seeds soaked in a gout treatment solution , colchicin or some thing like
that, would either turn the seedlings polyploid or kill-em.
Of course you could not smoke, whoops eat that generation but subsequent
generations were fine for smoking , whoops eating from then on in a very
high proportion of seeds from subsequent generations had a high ratio of
Polyploids.
I have a rocoto seedling that germinated in late January with 3 cotyledons
(first leaves) and I have been watching it with interest. Because Polyploids
as they are called are supposed to have extra vigor . Well for months there
was no noticeable difference but just yesterday I had another look and yes
it is starting to look different to its siblings.
The leaves are now larger and greener. It is in a batch of perhaps 50 so it
is quite noticeably different.
 I am keeping a close eye on it now for the famed Rocoto project.
Is there much happening with the said Rocoto project Cameron , anyone, ?
I have pasted my original polyploid posting on the bottom of this digest.

It's looking real certain that I will be in the US in August and Sept so I
hope to catch up with some of you. Looks like starting in Orlando and
traveling (driving, hope on the correct side of the road) up the east coast
to the top, visiting chillies and people on the way then flying from maybe
Chicago to LA and doing a bit of California down to San Diego. Then home to
West Australia. Whoops I forgot , I just have to spend at least one Friday
night in New Orleans. After the last one I wondered why  all of the college
footballers kept buying me drinks all night and I found out my traveling
companion was telling them all that I was the Crocodile hunter and he was my
camera man and we were here filming gators for a new doco. one even said "He
looks different " and my "cameraman" said "He's had a haircut" and that was
enough for them. Enough said.
Gee I think I went a little off subject then.
See you soon.
Marc from Austruckinfalia.

Hi Marc, (said Cameron)

>I have a seedling rocoto popped up with 3 cotyledon leaves. From my days of
>growing I have always believed this to mean that it is a polyploid. A
>polyploid has an extra set of cells??? (said Marc)

Or is it three sets of chromosomes? (said Cameron)

>This supposedly makes the seedling grow with increased vigor. Does anyone
>have any first hand experience with polyploids.(in Chillies) (said Marc)

Sorry. (said Cameron)

>Maybe this would be an interesting one for "THE ROCOTO PROJECT"  ( as long
>as it survives) (said Marc)

Sure - we'll take any mutants! (said Cameron)