[CH] Relleno chiles

Margaret Lauterbach (melauter@earthlink.net)
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:54:13 -0600

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:00:20 -0700
From: "Dave Anderson" <chilehead@tough-love.com>
Subject: Re: [CH] chile descriptions

I've never heard of a chile variety called "Relleno" Chile Relleno is a
pepper stuffed
with cheese and fried in an egg batter. Most Mexican restraunts use Anaheim
Chiles, but the good ones use a Poblano which allows a lot more stuffing.
Poblanos
are mis labled as Pasillas in the western US. Pasillas are long and thin while
Polanos or Anchos are big, and heart shaped.

Rellenos are seriously good Mexican food and should be eaten whenever
available<G>.

Dave, you're absolutely right, but Seeds of Change does sell a chile they
call "Relleno."  It looks like a Vidi or other European long sweet
pepper.  Friends order chile verde at Mexican restaurants new to them to
judge the quality of the restaurant (it's never been the same in different
restaurants), but I order chiles rellenos for the same reason (plus I love
them).  Margaret Lauterbach