Re: [CH] Rocoto help needed

John Lilly (habyday@earthlink.net)
Sat, 11 May 2002 11:35:43 -0500

on 5/10/02 10:55 AM, Love2Troll at Love2Troll@kc.rr.com wrote:

> First time grower of Rocoto.  Have 1 red, 1 orange and 5 yellow seedlings.
>
> "Peppers of the World" states that blossoms MUST be pollinated by ANOTHER
> plant in order to bear fruit.  Which means to me that another blossom on the
> same plant wouldn't do the job.  I wonder why not?

[snip]

"Peppers of the World" is wrong.  I grew a single rocoto plant several years
ago, and I was able to get fruit off of it.  Having said that, growing
multiple plants in close proximity will probably improve your chances of
pollination.  FYI, while it is possible to get fruit the first year, many
times you will not get a significant yield until the second year.

Good luck!

John