RE: [CH] Hi. Can anyone solve this chile powder mystery.

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:33:46 -0400

Mark --

While living in NM, I frequently bought green jalapeno powder that was
similar (if not identical) to what you are describing.  My bet would be that
this is what you have.  Enjoy!

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Mark Barringer
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 1:48 PM
To: Chile-Heads Mailing List
Subject: [CH] Hi. Can anyone solve this chile powder mystery.

My sister sent me some powders and a Ristra from Ojo Calaente, NM.  The
ristra is a decorative one, as it appears the chiles were sprayed with some
kind of stuff to make them look shiny.  Oh well.

Anyway, one of the powders she sent was not labeled, and I am not sure
exactly what it is.  It is roughly ground, medium green and yellow in
coloring.  I thought at first that it was NM dried green chile, but it
tastes and smells more along the lines of Jalapeno.   I am pretty adept at
knowing what the different red powders look and taste like.  You should try
my rough ground ceyenne pepper; it is good stuff Maynard!  However, I am not
real familiar with green chile powders.

Does anyone know what I have?  What types of green chile are made into
powders?  Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Mark "Mad Dog"  Barringer
http://home.earthlink.net/~mdogdrum/index.html