[CH] Recipe Help - Jerky 1

Jim Weller (Jim.Weller@salata.com)
24 May 02 08:27:15 -0800

 -=> Quoting John Lilly to All <=-

 JL> I am looking for a beef jerky recipe that was posted on the list
 JL> several years ago.  This particular version had balsamic vinegar,
 JL> pineapple, habs, and a long list of other ingredients.  If anyone has
 JL> this recipe please e-mail it to me or post it to the list.

I couldn't locate that recipe but here's a bunch of them that contain
balsamic vinegar or pineapple or habs. Perhaps you can use them for
inspiration to re-invent the missing recipe.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Steve's Hot! Jerky
 Categories: Beef, Spice, Venison, Smoked, Dried
      Yield: 2 pounds

      5 lb Beef brisket or venison
      1 lg Fresh white onion or
    1/3 c  Onion powder
      1 lg Fresh garlic or
      2 tb Garlic powder
      4 oz Liquid smoke
      1 c  Soy sauce "Kikkoman"
    3/4 c  Worcestershire sauce
           "Heinz"
      2 tb Steak sauce "A.1."
      1 tb Monosodium glutamate
           "Accent"
      2 ts Seasoned salt
    1/3 c  Black pepper; ground
      1 tb Fresh rosemary leaves
      2 tb Sugar
           THE HOT STUFF:
      5    Whole fresh Habanero chiles
           (more to taste); with
           Seeds
      1 tb Dried Pequin chili pepper;
           With seeds
    1/2    Bottle
           Hot sauce "Melinda's
           XXXtra" (5 fl. oz.)
      4 tb Dried Cayenne pepper;
           Ground

  Prepare meat by cutting into strips 3/4" X 1/2" and as long as you
  prefer. Cut across grain for tender and lengthwise for chewy.  The
  more consistent you are when cutting the strips the better your jerky
  will dry evenly. Mix all ingredients in blender except meat and
  Cayenne. Soak strips of meat in the above mixture and refrigerate for
  24-48 hours in a close container (I use a Tupperware bread box).
  Shake several times to mix well. Pat dry. Place directly on oven racks
  that have been covered with tin foil and sprayed with Pam. Cook in pre
  heated oven @ 160F for 2-3 hours (with door closed). This kills
  bacteria, removes a lot of the excess moisture and melts any excess
  fat. Return hot strips to mixture and refrigerate for another 6-12
  hours (remember to shake several times). Pat dry and sprinkle with
  Cayenne powder. Spread in dehydrator. Set dehydrator at 145F. The
  final drying usually takes about another 6-10 hours. Do not over dry
  (Check every few hours). Jerky should be tuff and leathery, not
  brittle or hard. A real mouth watering HOT treat! Enjoy. If you don't
  have a dehydrator return Jerky to 150F oven for  6-12 hours leaving
  door open a little. An alternate for the final drying would be to use
  a low heat smoker. Leave out the Liquid Smoke in the Marinate. Note
  Venison has always cooked faster for me than beef (less moisture?). So
  check it more frequently.

  Recipe By: Steve Nearman  <recipes@erols.com>

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Sweet and Sour Jerky Marinade
 Categories: Dried, Meats, Spice, Mix, Preserved
      Yield: 4 Servings

    1/2 c  Red wine vinegar (I prefer
           Balsamic)
      1 ts Garlic powder
      2 ts Salt
    3/4 c  Pineapple juice
    1/2 c  Brown sugar
    1/4 c  Soy sauce
    1/4 ts Ginger
      3 lb Lean meat cut into strips

  Mix all ingredients together. Place meat strips in marinade and
  refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Stir mixture occasionally to make
  sure all the meat is covered. Dry following the technique mentioned
  earlier.

  From: "Elly" <egad@home.Com>

-----