RE: [CH] Enchilada Sauce Recipe?

Holder, John (John_Holder@jdedwards.com)
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:49:40 -0600

Signe (and pods!),

Having grown up in Northern New Mexico, I have eaten many an
enchilada.  And the first time the lovely lady who became my
wife cooked for me, she made red chile blue corn enchiladas.
It was love as first sight!  (er... taste?) This recipe is the
authentic way to make a red chile sauce in Northern New Mexico.
I hope you enjoy this sauce as much as I do - this is THE
"mother sauce", the "sauce of comfort" and "sauce of love"
in my house.

Red Enchilada Sauce
--------------------
4 Tbsp red New Mexico chile powder (Chimayo is preferred)
3 tbsp flour
1 clove minced garlic
1.5 tsp. Mexican oregano
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)

put the above in a blender.  Add 2 cups water.  Blend a bit.
(less than 30 seconds, sometimes much less!) Add 2 more cups
water.  blend a bit more.  Put in a saucepan and bring to a
boil, immediately turn down to a simmer. Cook ~20 minutes,
stirring the whole time.

Sometime I can't get this sauce to thicken as much as others.
When that happens, i add 1 tbsp cornstarch to 2 tbsp cold water
and then pour in all but any lumps and stir a couple more minutes.

--
John Holder
john_holder@jdedwards.com