Re: [CH] OT Slap-dash was: Re: Not at all

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 20:21:31 -0500

Tara Deen wrote:

> Have you honestly never heard that one, Erich? It's very common,
> old-fashioned slang, derived in Britain at a guess.

  I guess I'm just a sheltered little Mid-Western farm boy at heart.  Didn't
even have cable so's I could learnt ma'self 'bout the outside world until
'97.

> Slap-dash would interpret as tossing the seeds in soil, plonking them
> outside in the
> sun, and checking on them once or twice a week to make sure they're not
> entirely bone-dry. It's been a busy couple of years for me :-)

  Oh I gathered the meaning from the term, and how you used it; I just
thought maybe you coined it yourself... possibly.  I think most of us have
schedules these days that require us to be more "slap-dash" toward things
than we would really like to be.  I envy those who don't...  I'm hoping once
we get some of the minor remodeling and landscaping done to this place, I'll
have a little more time to invest in my gardening next year.

> Not that this coming season is going to be any different: I just got me
> a great job, six months before I am due to finish my Ph.D., so now I get
> to do both simultaneously. Never let it be said that I don't like a
> challenge!

  Well congrat's on the job... wish I could say that mine was even decent;
but it helps pay the bills.

> On-topic, my chilli-growing has been so slap-dash of late, I have
> bushels and bushels of chillis on bushes in the back yard, just waiting
> for me to find the time to pick them and dry them or turn them into
> sauce. I think I need to throw my own open fields this year.

  Sounds like you need to look into hiring a garden / chile nanny.  Hey,
maybe I can get a job I like after all...

> Now, if you come and visit Sydney, I'll not only call you mate, I'll
> even throw in a G'day!

  We thought about it for our honeymoon back in '97; but it didn't sound
like it would work out.  So we went to Banff instead... too bad I didn't
know about Doug's cooking back then, we could have made a little side trip.

--
Erich
C-H # 2099