RE: [CH] dehydrator question

Pieters, Rob (Rob.Pieters@honeywell.com)
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:06:10 -0500

Hi

Be careful to dry hot peppers indoors when heating them up.
Just like Rael I have tried the microwave, I have to say not completely
unsuccessful but I don't risk it any more.
But if you do, my advice is to cut them in half always! they can explode and
specially when you open the door (keep your eyes protected), and be careful
not to heat them up to long they can catch fire too.
And I noticed that even very mild peppers can take your breath away when you
open the MW.

I'm using our oven on about 60-70 deg C with the door on ventilation stand.
I only dry one kind per time as they need all different drying times, and
even than I need to ventilate the kitchen.
Last year when I tried to dry a bunch of rocoto's it when wrong, my fault,
as they dry not easy due to the thickens I turned the head a little higher
and went out to do some shopping....
You understand that this was a bad idea, when coming home the house was
filled with a very nice smell... but when I came in the kitchen, boy I
almost died there due to the cap in the air.
I lost a kilo of rocotos and it took about two days to get the air to normal
again.

My other advice is that the best place to dry, and grind, peppers is outside
(or in someone else there kitchen =;-))

Hot regards
Rob NL