Re: [CH] dehydrators

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:35:50 -0500

At 1:12 AM -0600 6/27/02, Keegan Smith wrote:
>Hi There!  I too am interested in gettig a dehydrator this year.
>Thanks all for the suggestions.  I get the feeling I'll be best
>served by just going and seeing what is for sale (at a good deal!)in
>my area, rather than set out for a specific one.  Everybody seems to
>be more-or-less happy with thiers.  The better question might be,
>are there any that we should avoid?

I would say, go with what's on sale, but get one with a fan.  The fan
really seems to be a key to drying fast and evenly.

>Are these dehydrators also good for fruit and "fruit leather"?

You "have" to have a special tray liner thing to make fruit
leather/fruit rollups.  Basically, you mix equal parts of applesauce
and pureed fruit, poor the mix onto the tray liner, and dehydrate
away.

In reality, you could probably use wax paper just as well.

>I'd also be interested if anyone knows a good way to make those
>"dehydrated meals" - it could be fun... and they are so expensive at
>camping stores.

As would I.  'Course, no one responded to my post a couple of days
ago.  Maybe if we gang up on 'em....

>Finally... I used the oven at low temp for last year's chile's....
>and left 2 full trays of habanero's in the oven... and a family
>member decided to pre-heat to 450 without checking inside first...
>...not pretty

Ouch.  How horrid!  I'm truly sorry for your loss.

--
Chad Gard, KB9WXQ
INCHASE: http://www.inchase.org  Co-founder