Re: [CH] A little off topic... [M.Jack cheese]

Jesse [CH1200] G. (CH1200@attbi.com)
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:39:07 -0500

Hey CH's-
<CliffClaven>
I trust I will not sound too much like Monty Pythion's Cheese Shop
sketch here:
Yer garden-variety typical "white Mexican cheese" for melting is
Chihuahua ("Chee-WAH-wah" not "Chih-HOOah-HOOah").  It is *not* made
from that little breed of Mexican dog!  Chihuahua cheese is what goes on
quesadillas, and any Mexican dish followed by "suizo" like "Burrito
suizo" (literally "Swiss," in effect, "has white cheese melted on top of
it").  It is also called "asador," i.e. "roasting cheese." It is very
close to Muenster cheese, without the annatto (i.e. achiote) coloring
added on the surface.
Other white Mexican cheeses:
queso fresco ("farmer's cheese") - very mild
requesOn is pretty much ricotta cheese
aNejo - a grating cheese, mstly for garnishing
</CliffClaven>
Hasta la lista,

Jesse G.
CH#1200