RE: [CH] ETOUFEE/From Oz

Pieters, Rob (Rob.Pieters@honeywell.com)
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:53:24 -0500

Hi Luke,
Like the recipe and want to try it coming Sunday when we have guests for
diner and I promised to cook Cajun style.
Looking at the amounts its around 8 servings?
And I have some more questions I hope you can answer
The roux you make is that a dark or medium color?
I only going to try ready made fish stock... or/and might ad some Thai fish
sauce too.
As I don't think I'll easily get a kilo of shrimp leftovers, or do you have
any other suggestions?
The chorizo, how much in weight, the smallest here is around  200gr a pcs
The next day you add the shrimp and mention %00? this is 500 gr yes/no?

Thanks in advance for your reply
Hot regards
Rob NL

  -----Original Message-----
  From: luke Speer [mailto:radomvis35@midcoast.com.au]
  Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 10:40 AM
  To: Chile-Heads
  Subject: [CH] ETOUFEE/From Oz

  Recipe Follows :
  ROUX - 500g/1LB Unsalted Butter
  Plain Flour 2-3 Cups
  Splash Olive Oil /Unfitered/Raw..
  Roux :- Put Buter and oil in Heavy Based Pan, I used an old
  French Cousancs Doufeu, Enameled ,
  I Melted the Butter and then added the Flour slowly ,
  stirring all the time..
  I took an Hour making the ROUX over a low flame on my Gas cooktop..
  After an hour I added 3 chopped onions
  4 rashers of streaky Bacon Chopped coarsely
  4 cloves Garlic
  and let this cook for 15 min
  I then added 1 tin chopped tomatoes and
  1Chorizo Choped ,
  As it got dry-ish I added 700mls/4 fifths for the merkins Prawn Stock
  (Ikg /2.2 LbsPrawn/Jumbo Shrimp heads and Tails made into a Stock
  30-40 small to mrdium Okra pods Topped and Tailed then sliced.
  1 Kg Chicken Thighs chopped into small Pieces,
  Salt,Pepper to Taste Chopped fine 3 Birds Eye Chiles
  Cook Slow.
   Then Put into Refrigeratotr over Night, Next Day add %00 G /
  1 Lb Naked Prawns/Shrimp Heat then Serve
  Luke In OZ