RE: [CH] Tonight's Dinner - Enchiladas Verde

Holder, John (John_Holder@jdedwards.com)
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:33:28 -0600

While this looks like it tastes alright, I don't see
how 2 tsp. of green chile in the sauce qualifies as
"enchilating" this dish.  Must put more chiles in
the sauce to "en-chile" the tortillas, or its is not
an enchilada, just slightly picante spinach-sauce
on a stuffed tortilla...

I'm in a meta-meaning mood, I'm not dissing the recipe,
just the term "enchilada" for this recipe...

John "no ha tenido bastante Chile hoy" Holder
--
john_holder@jdedwards.com

-----Original Message-----
From: RisaG [mailto:radiorlg@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 8:10 PM
To: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
Cc: CHILE-PEPPER-RECIPE@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CH] Tonight's Dinner - Enchiladas Verde

This was tonight's dinner. Instead of the spinach
being on the inside of these yummy enchiladas, it is
on the outside in the sauce. These are so pretty to
look at and very good to eat. I was thinking of
putting crabmeat inside them next time. I love the
combination of spinach and crab.

DH loved them too.

*  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Enchiladas Verde

Recipe By     : RisaG
Categories    : Casserole
Cheese
                Chiles
Greens

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation
Method
--------  ------------
--------------------------------
   4                    flour tortillas
                        Filling:
   2      cups          Kraft Mexican Blend cheese
     1/2                onion -- chopped small
   2      cloves        garlic -- minced
     1/2  cup           Friendship Roasted Garlic Sour
Cream -- * see note
   2      tbsp          fresh cilantro -- chopped
   1      tsp           kosher salt
     1/4  tsp           Garlic Diablo -- ** see note
                        Sauce:
   1      10 oz pkg     frozen spinach -- thawed &
drained
   2      tbsp          unsalted butter -- melted
   2      tbsp          all-purpose flour
     1/4  tsp           kosher salt
     1/2  cup           low fat milk
   1 1/2  cups          chicken broth
   2      tsp           chopped green chiles
     1/2  small         onion -- chopped
     3/4  tsp           ground cumin
     2/3  cup           Friendship Roasted Garlic Sour
Cream
                        Before Baking:
                        Kraft Mexican Cheese Blend --
for sprinkling

For sauce: Combine flour and butter in a saucepan.
Cook over low heat until flour is completely
incorporated but not browned. Add milk and broth and
cook until thickened. Remove from heat. In a large
bowl, combine all other sauce ingredients. Mix well
and then add the heated white sauce mixture. Mix well.
Set aside.

For filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a
small bowl. Set aside.

Lightly toast each tortilla in a ungreased nonstick
skillet over medium heat for about 20 seconds each,
just to soften.

Fill each tortilla with one quarter of the filling
mixture. Roll up.

Put some of the sauce in the bottom of a 13x9"
casserole. Top with the 4 rolled enchiladas. Top with
the rest of the sauce and then sprinkle with some more
of the cheese mixture.

Bake at 350?F for 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes
before serving.

Serve with a salad and some refried beans.

Prep time: 15 minutes

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Risa's notes:

* If you can't get Friendship's Roasted Garlic Sour
Cream (IMHO the best), use any kind of sour cream.
Even low fat or fat free works well in this recipe
because you are not cooking it over a flame (it can't
break).

**  Garlic Diablo is a ground garlic and chile
mixture. Since it is from a very small company (sent
to me as a gift), just mix some pure ground dried
chiles with a bit of garlic powder. Or just use some
ground black pepper (which is in the original recipe).

RisaG