Re: [CH] Open Fields 2002 - Who is attending?

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 12:17:35 -0400

At the risk of stepping on someone's toes, and never having attended (but
it's high on my "To Do" list, just not this year) here's what I have
archived.
Snip: When is it? Original Post from -Jim C/Mild to Wild:

>Speaking of Open Fields.... It appears there WILL be an open fields
> this fall. It should be a much better event this time around for
> several reasons, none of which involve me actually maybe being there.
> I've nearly completed negotiations on contracting my commercial farming
> out so the Open Fields patch will have no other purpose than to supply
> bounty to those attending. There will be no harvest restrictions and no
> need to try and pick stuff for the poor sap hosting the event. The only
> purpose the plot will have is to support this event. You'll be able to
> pick as much as you want with a clear conscience. As a result though,
> the plot will be quite a bit smaller. I figure about a 1/4 acre
> (roughly 2,000 plants) should suffice us though I will gladly accept
> advice on the matter. Likely dates are the 28th & 29th of September for
> those of you needing to make plans. More details as they are
> discovered.

Snip: > Where is it?

AAHHH now there's a good question. See if you can figure it out from last
years snapshots:
http://homepage.mac.com/cbegg/PhotoAlbum1.html

My understanding is it's a secret "Field of Dreams" that has Chile-Heads
walking out of a pepper patch rather than baseball players walking out of a
corn field. As I've never attended, I'm under the impression it's in IN.

Snip: (And this one might be me misunderstanding Open Fields) How much is
admission?
The man that running the thing is working on his sainthood so he doesn't
charge anything. You can see him tonight on the Food Channel (if you get it)
at 9:00 PM EST. He also saves lives as a fireman so look for the segment
shot in the firehouse. As proof of his impending sainthood, he lost a
relative during the 9/11 attacks last year & quoting him:
> Having finally worn Cameron out, I'm now willing to make a compromise on
> the open fields event :-) It seems that I can't dissuade you folks from
> wanting to do something, despite my best efforts, so a donation to a
> cause will be accepted.
>
> As you all know, I missed the event due to a death in the family from
> the events on 9-11. My sister's husband (my bro-in-law) was Lt Gen Tim
> J Maude (3 star), killed at his desk while arranging an increase in
> survivor death benefits for military personnel. Timmy J spent most of
> his career trying to improve the lot of the common soldier. My sister
> has established a memorial fund to try and continue that work. The fund
> will be used to award grants to soldiers who are trying to improve their
> education. Currently, if a soldier enrolls in college, he drops to
> reserve status loosing many of his benefits while attending classes.
> This is a real hardship for most.
>
> Donations can be sent to (payable to the Memorial Fund):
> Association of the US Army
> Attn: The Timothy J Maude Memorial Fund
> 2425 Wilson Blvd
> Arlington, VA 22201

And now the big intro, the "MAN" himself:
http://www.wildpepper.com/gift.htm
along with his website, please feel free to peruse his products. Of special
interest is the Apple Smoked Red Savina! on this page:
http://www.wildpepper.com/pepperpowders.html
You'll note it's sold out, check back in the fall & buy enough to carry you
through next year (just my advice, usual disclaimers).

Hope this helps you & others about Open Fields,
Paul
Jim C, I hope you don't mind my doing this, thought I'd save you some time
so you could attend to other things & only have to update us on this.
I'll sigh aloud again as I read updates 'cause I can't make it.

PS I almost forgot! Michael, if you do attend, please approach the guy with
pepper pants with extreme caution!!!! Here's his report from last year & his
confirmation on attending this year:

> well, I knew there would be one...or something of such nature...and
> that I'd be attending somehow/way/means. After all, in a fit of
> Rael-ness, whilst communing with El Grande's minions,
> UnderTheInfluence of Cap, I agreed to get myself ChileBranded just
> like a fatted calf 8^p
>
> Imagine what I would have agreed to if I had been drinking that
> chile-infused tequila (oooooh, Senor Jesus!) that wuz being passed
> around the campfire...
>
> oh my!
>
> --
> Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
>
> Rael64
> Monk of the TCS
> Order of Enlightened Twister [TM!]

Rael, please let Michael know which pepper pants were yours in Cameron's
slide show as I noted more than one pair.