Re: [CH] Hot beds

Babs Woods (babs@jfwhome.funhouse.com)
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:14:14 -0400

        Pods,

> From: "Steve Winnard" <s_winnard@hotmail.com>
>
> Does anyone have any experience making a hot bed without resorting to
> electricity for heating? I have in mind creating something that would use
> hay / straw as the bed, kind of like making silage, covering it in dirt and
> allowing the natural process to create the heat.
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on this?
>
> Many thanks...
>
> Steve

I know that pretty much the method you describe is used to grow carrots
year-round (I don't do this), so you might want to look at organic and
square foot gardening techniques.  The description I've seen came from a
PBS gardening show as I recall it, and it was done both to keep weeds
down and to not have to keep working the soil every season, as well as
to extend the carrot season well into the New England winter (back when
winters here were sincere about being WINTER).

                                -babs