[CH] Recipes for eggplant and scarlet runners

Jim Weller (jweller@ssimicro.com)
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:01:38 -0600

From: "Helen L. Gillis" <HelenGillis@earthlink.net>
Subject: [CH] Recipes??

> I will shortly be inundated with eggplants and was wondering if anyone
> had a good recipe or two.  We're growing the standard Italian type, as
> well as a white, and an asian type.  Tired of the usual parm's etc.
> We've also got loads of scarlett runner beans...so please dust off
> those recipe boxes! Thanks! Helen

I like the way they do eggplant in Mediterranean countries. Casseroled
with tomatoes, onions, peppers and perhaps zucchini. Plus assorted other
vegetables of choice, even scarlet runner beans. Depending on where you
go it's called Ratatouille (France), Briami (Greece), Ajvar (the
Balkans), Capanata (Italy), or Ghivech (Romania). The traditional
recipes use bell peppers and aren't hot but this dish takes well to
additional peppers, powders or sauces of any sort.

Here's the Spanish version:

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Escalivada (Catalonian Vegetable Medley)
 Categories: Tnt, Spanish, Vegetables, Grill, Wine
      Yield: 4 Servings

      1    Eggplant, peeled and sliced
           Salt
      6 c  Pure olive oil for frying
      5 tb Extra virgin olive oil
      1 lg Onion, chopped
      1    Green bell pepper, peeled,
           Seeded, quartered
      8    Ripe firm plum tomatoes,
           Peeled, seeded, cut in half
           Freshly ground black pepper
           To taste
           For the vinaigrette sauce
           (whisked together):
    1/4 c  Extra virgin olive oil
      2 tb Red wine vinegar
      1    Garlic clove, peeled and
           Finely chopped
      1 tb Finely chopped fresh parsley
           Leaves
           Salt and freshly ground
           Black pepper to taste

  Escalivar means "to cook in hot ashes." Typically the vegetables in an
  escalivada are grilled, and the dish is served with grilled meats.
  Mountain shepherds were adept at packing their rucksacks with some
  cheese and wine, perhaps, and building a hardwood fire near a
  revetment of their sheep's pasture where they could grill a medley of
  vegetables. Some writers call this a Catalan- style ratatouille but
  escalivada more closely resembles the Tunisian salata mishwiyya, to
  which it may be historically related. The excellence of this dish
  comes from absolutely fresh vegetables. Since not everyone has a
  grill, I provide this alternative to grilling; otherwise, pull out the
  grill and follow the variation below.

  1. Lay the eggplant slices on some paper towels and sprinkle with
  salt. Leave them to drain of their bitter juices for 30 minutes, then
  pat dry with more paper towels.

  2. Preheat the frying oil in a deep-fryer or an 8-inch diameter
  saucepan with a basket insert to 375 degrees F. Fry the eggplant
  slices in batches until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper
  towels and let cool. Let the frying oil cool completely, strain, and
  save for a future use.

  3. In a large stove-top and ovenproof casserole, heat 1 tablespoon
  extra virgin olive oil over a medium heat, then cook the onion until
  translucent, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the eggplant
  slices, bell pepper, tomatoes, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
  Mix gently. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil over the
  vegetables and bake uncovered for 1 hour. Let cool, then serve with
  the vinaigrette poured over.

  Variation: Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill for 15
  minutes on high. Grill the whole unpeeled and uncored green pepper
  until its skin blisters black, about 45 minutes. Slip off the skin,
  remove the core and seeds, and cut into quarters. Pat dry the eggplant
  after leeching its bitter juices, brush with olive oil, and grill
  until the pieces have attractive grid marks, about 10 minutes on each
  side. Boil the whole onion in water to cover for 10 minutes. Peel,
  split in half, brush with oil, and grill for 30 minutes over a low or
  dying fire until it is browned and easily pierced with a fork. Mix the
  grilled pepper, eggplant, and onion and serve with the vinaigrette.

  Clifford A. Wright

-----

Jim in Yellowknife