RE: [CH] Ow, my eyes!

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:43:54 -0400

Ben --

This is a continuing problem for me.  I remember when I first got contacts
in 1995 -- wore them home, made dinner with habaneros that night, took them
out, and then tried putting them back in the next morning -- oh, my God!

I have not found a very good solution yet, however.  I've tried washing my
hands in bleach water, using a scrub brush on my finger tips, and soaking my
hands in milk.  None work very well.  Wearing latex (or nitrile, if you're
allergic to latex) gloves is the only "real" solution that I have found, but
I don't like wearing the gloves.  Another partial solution (although not
perfect) -- I've found that if I shower and use my wife's hair conditioner
(it's kind of greasy, you know) then it seems to remove the chile from my
hands better than soap and water.

Now, if you've already got the chile on your lenses, I've been through three
options -- again, none ideal --

1.  Once you're sure your hands are clean, rinse and re-store your lenses
every day (in fresh solution) for a few days and then try putting them in.

2.  If you still have some of those old-school enzyme tablets, use them on
your lenses overnight -- this actually works quite well, if you can find the
tablets.  I think it's because the enzyme tablets are made with sterilized
pork fat (among other things).  On a side note:  Pork -- is there anything
it can't do?

3.  Put the sons of b****es in your eyes, try not to blink them out, and
suffer for 20 or 30 minutes.  The pain eventually goes away.

As you can see, I haven't solved this problem in any way, shape or form, but
I am glad to share my experiences.  I have to say that this is the only
thing I don't like about being a CH and it has been a problem for me every
single day for the last 7 years.  Good luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology