RE: [CH] Recipe Ideas Request

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:21:04 -0400

You might want to consider serving some sort of cold sandwich that guests
could put together themselves.  This is cool and casual -- guests might not
want to sit down for a formal meal after a long airplane ride, but might
prefer to mingle, eat with their hands, and have a cold BEvERage.  I don't
have an exact recipe here, but you should be able to wing it based on the
info below.

Grilled Chicken Pitas

1.  Cube up some chicken thighs (preferred) or breasts.  Season with a spicy
rub -- Middle Eastern, Mexican, or Indian is nice here.  If you don't have
rub recipes that you like, let me know and I will forward you one each of
the above three.  Toss with oil (no need to use olive oil here -- I use
canola) and thread onto skewers.  Grill until done.  Chill.

2.  Cook a pot of black beans until very soft, season them as you like
(bacon fat, onion, garlic, chiles, cumin, Mexican oregano, etc.).  Strain
beans, reserving liquid.  Puree beans with a little minced garlic, some
minced chile, vinegary hot sauce (acid goes well with black beans -- if you
omit hot sauce, add a little white vinegar), sour cream, and enough liquid
to make spreadable.  Chill.

3.  Slice red onion very thinly.  Mince some fresh herbs from the garden --
basil, oregano, cilantro, lime mint -- whatever you are growing.  Mix onion,
herbs, minced chile, lime juice, pinch of sugar, S&P and allow to sit in
refrigerator.

4.  Chiffonade some fresh spinach leaves.

5.  When you get home with your guests, remove all the items from the
refrigerator and allow guests to assemble sandwiches on pita bread -- open a
bread half, spread with black beans, place chicken into bread, top with
pickled onions and spinach.  I would serve a vinegary hot sauce on the side.
You may also set out a squeeze bottle of sour cream pureed with roasted
garlic in case your guests need to put out a fire.

This is one of our favorite items to bring when we tailgate for sporting
events -- we make most things in advance and then grill the chicken and make
the sandwiches at the game.  Best of luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology