[CH] a bunch of recipes

Jim Weller (jweller@ssimicro.com)
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:06:16 -0600

Catch up time. I didn't have time to post anything until this weekend.

> From: Jason Oakley <chileheads@bangrocks.com>
> I've just started to make my own chilli
> I've tried making up my own recipes. I'd like a sort of sweet chilli
> sauce, but also one that's just chilli. I like the sauce fairly hot
> and am not sure of the quantity to cook.
> Anybody got some real recipes tried and true they'd like to share with
> me?

Here's a sweet, hot one:

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Mango-Habanero Sauce
 Categories: Condiments, Spice, Sauces, Chilies, Fruit
      Yield: 20 Servings

      2 tb Peanut Oil
      8    Mangoes-ripe-peeled-diced
    1/2 c  White Onion-diced
    1/2 c  Carrot-diced
      2    Habanero chiles - seeded
    1/2 c  Champagne Vinegar
    1/2 c  Catsup
    1/4 c  Sugar
           Salt to taste

  This Salsa works well using either orange or green habanero. Heat the
  oil in a saucepan and add the diced mangoes, onion, carrot, and
  habanero chiles . Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, until
  onions are soft and translucent. This has natural sugar in it so be
  careful not to scorch it. Deglaze with vinegar, and add the catsup and
  sugar. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 35 to 45
  minutes. This last step is done easily in a double boiler so as not to
  scorch this sauce. Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
  Transfer to a blender, pulse sauce, and strain through a medium
  strainer. If blended carefully this may not need strained. If the
  sauce is to thick, add a little water to thin. Jars of Mangoes can be
  used but it is much better with the fresh.

  From: Mike Stock To: RIME Cuisine  06-19-94

-----

> There's a really good place in Sydney & NZ that sells Portuguese
> chilli burgers. Most of my chilli-lovin' friends like it.
> If I can get my chilli to taste as good as theirs, I will be happy.

And a Portuguese one:

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Piri-Piri Sauce
 Categories: Sauces, Portuguese, Chilies, Condiments
      Yield: 4 Servings

  1 1/4 c  Olive oil
      8    Chilli peppers with
           Tops removed
      1    Bay leaf
      1    Small piece lemon rind

  Pour the oil into a small, screw-top jar and add the chilli peppers,
  bay leaf and lemon rind.  Screw on the top and shake. Leave to stand
  in a warm place for at least 24 hours before use. It will keep at room
  temperature indefinitely.

  Ready made piri-piri can be bought by the Portuguese, who use it a
  good deal as a spicy condiment on pasta, fish or meat and also to
  flavour stews.

  From "THE WORLD'S BEST FOOD FOR HEALTH AND LONG LIFE" by Michael
  Bateman, Caroline Conran & Oliver Gillie. Published in 1981 by
  Houghton Mifflin Company.

  Shared by Robert Rostrup

-----

> From: Bob Batson <rcb@kc.rr.com>
> Subject: [CH] Chili Recipes Wanted

> If any of the list inhabitants have any Chili (that stew made edible
> by adding Capsicums to it) recipes, other than 'Bad Attitude Chili',
> would you please send the recipes my way off-list?

Did you get a good response. I have collected over 1000 variations
which I could send if you like. Here's one:

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Chill Lee's World's Greatest Jackrabbit Champion Chili
 Categories: Chili, Groundmeat, Beef, Chilies
      Yield: 6 Servings

      2 lb Ground beef
      2 tb Sugar
      3 tb Dry onion flakes
      2 tb Chili peppers (or dry New
           -Mexican chilies, or a good
           -mild chili powder
      3 tb Cumin
      1 ts Salt
    1/2 ts Oregano
      1 ts Coriander
      1 tb Thyme
    1/2 ts Black pepper
      1 tb Paprika
      1    Garlic clove
      2 tb Masa harina
      2 cn (8 oz) tomato sauce
     16 oz Water

  Brown the beef and drain off any fat. add all other ingredients and
  mix well. cook over low heat 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

  from Ed "Chill Lee" Paetzel
  Source: Foods from Harvest Festivals and Folk Fairs, Anita Borghese
  Typed by: Laird Kelly Feb 21, 1995

-----

> From: "Jens Backman" <dibbler@home.se>
> Subject: [CH] pleasant problem

> Well my problem is indeed pleasant .... I have lots of Jalapeno Hots ,
> Habs & Thai Reds .... Now I can of course just let em lie and dry ....
> But .. what Iïd like some help with is ...
> Good recipe for pickling Jalapenos

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Pickled Jalapenos
 Categories: Canning, Spice, Pickles, Chilies
      Yield: 1 batch

      6 lb Jalapeno
      5 c  Vinegar
      1 c  Water
      4 ts Pickling salt
      2 tb Sugar
      2    Cloves garlic

  Wash peppers.  If small peppers are left whole, slash 2-5 slits in
  each. Quarter large peppers.  Blanch in boiling water. Flatten small
  peppers. Fill half-pint or pint jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
  Combine and heat other ingredients to boiling and simmer 10 minutes.
  Remove garlic. Pour hot pickling solution over peppers leaving 1/2
  inch headspace. Adjust lids. Use conventional boiling water canner
  processing. Process for 10 minutes at below 1000 feet, 15 minutes at
  1001 to 6000 feet and 20 minutes above 6000 feet.

  Recipe By: Pacific Northwest Extension Bulletin, Pickling Vegetables

-----

From: "Larry J Brimstein" <ljb4@meadwestvaco.com>
Subject: [CH] Hot Kraut

> Does anyone on the list have a twist on making hot kraut that you
> would like to share??

There's always Korean Kim Chi.

Germans and Poles don't generally seem partial to chilies in their
kraut, but they do use chilies in the Balkans.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Kiseli Kupus (Sauerkraut)
 Categories: Croatian, Vegetables, Pickles, Chilies
      Yield: 1 Batch

     24    Cabbage heads (solid heads)
      3    Red peppers; quartered
      1    Fresh horseradish
           -peeled and chopped
    1/2    Box bay leaves
      1    Garlic head
    1/4    Box dry whole red peppers
     52 oz Salt (not iodized)

  Core cabbage and fill with salt.  Place, core side up, in large crock.
  Layer cabbage, above ingredients alternately.  When all has been place
  in crock, cover with large leaves which have been removed from
  cabbage; fill crock with water.  Place a heavy weight on top of
  cabbage; cover with clean cloth.  Should be ready in 40 days.  Keep
  water clean by removing foam each day which will begin to form in
  about 10 days.

  Recipe by: Ivan C. Tiholiz
  Source: "Our Favorite Recipes" St. Anthony Croatian Catholic Church
  Typed for you by Karen Mintzias ...downloaded from: Salata

-----

> marked it XXX after canning it,the next day found the non-chilehead
> daughter eating it with a spoon! The darn kid ate half a quart!  (she
> calls herself a non-chilehead though she can be seen drinking Cholula
> out of the bottle while gazing into the refrigerator)

(grinning) I caught my chile-head granddaughter chugging Frank's
Louisiana sauce like soda pop when she was 1 1/2 years old. She would
also nibble cayennes right off the bush. But not habbies.... well, just
once. She didn't make as much as her Mom did, when she tasted the half
eaten pepper!

Jim in Yellowknife