Re: [CH] Chilli recipes

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:14:12 -0400

Hi Jason,
Snip:
> The two I've been able to get and identify are birdseye (small red ones)
> and Cayenne (long red/green ones).
> I've tried making up my own recipes.  I'd like a sort of sweet chilli
> sauce, but also one that's just chilli.
> I like the sauce fairly hot and am not sure of the quantity to cook.
> Anybody got some real recipes tried and true they'd like to share with
>me?

One of our resident chefs sent this one in:

I got this recipe from Red Hot Peppers by Jean Andrews. Simple to do. Smells
up the kitchen with the hot vinegar. My DS had to run upstairs to get away
from the fumes. It was really smelly but it looks like the real thing once
it is done.

I am going to wait about a month or so to open my bottle of it.

@@@@@
Homemade "Tabasco" Sauce

Jean Andrews

12 Tabasco chiles, * I used cayenne
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 cup herbed chili vinegar, ** I used apple cider
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

In a small nonreactive saucepan (I used Visions by Corningware), boil the
chiles and garlic in the vinegar until tender. Place in a blender with the
salt and sugar and puree. Run through a metal sieve if necessary. Dilute
this paste with more vinegar until it is the consistency of rich cream. Pour
into a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil, then pour into a hot,
sterilized bottle to within 1/2 inch of the rim and run a sterlizied knife
around the inside of the bottle to release air bubbles. Wipe the rim clean
and seal with a scalded top. Store in the refrigerator after opening.

RisaG

I make mine with Habs & another list member, JohnT named it:
> Thank you very much for the jar of Habanero Tabasco!  I got it in the
>mail yesterday.  It was lip buzzing wonderful.  Had it twice yesterday.
"Lip Buzzing Habanero Sauce" seems to fit nicely.
My only modification, besides substituing Habs, is to add a tbls. of
moulasses & I use white vinegar.

> When chilli cooks, does it always stink up the place and smell like a
> strong grassy smell?

Please read Risa's intro to recipe, no grassy smell from this one.

Jason wrote, Snip:
Ok.
It appears this is a clicky closed group.
I will find another chilli mailing list.

I agree with Jim, Snip:
How far from the truth. I've made just a few postings in two years, and
always have had great responses. I have even bugged a few people off list,
and gotten great responses.
Hang around for a bit, this list is very kewl.

Many members of this list will help you with with your quest for El Grande
enlightenment, but if you don't like it here, I can tell you where to
go(;>))).

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jando/chilli.htm
http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/
http://www.geocities.com/ozchillinet/
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hsca/Win_9835.html
http://www.thevegetablepatch.com/
http://www.kaitaia-fire.co.nz/
http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/6454/index2.html

These are some sites I've found helpfull from your side of the lake, as
opposed to the pond on this side of the US.

> There's a really good place in Sydney & NZ that sells Portuguese chilli
> burgers.  Most of my chilli-lovin' friends like it.

Hope this helps,
Paul