RE: [CH] Good Eats

Holm, Ben (Ben.Holm@usa.xerox.com)
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:26:23 -0400

>> Have you read Alton's cookbook?  I'll never buy microwave
>> popcorn again.

  The popcorn reference is from his cookbook.  He has a chapter about
microwaves and how they work, and in there is a microwave popcorn recipe
that goes like this:  put 1/3 cup regular popcorn into a paper lunch bag.
Fold the top over twice (about 1/2 inch folds).  Put exactly 2 staples in
the folds 2-3 inches apart.  Microwave (in a microwave with a carousel) 3
minutes or until pops are 5 seconds apart.  Throw a little parmesan cheese
in the bag if you like before microwaving.
  I guess the staples are too small to absorb an entire micro-wave, so they
won't get hot or crackle.  Of course, I kept a close eye on mine the first
time I tried it.  This is a lot cheaper than microwave popcorn from the
store.  It has fewer salt and chemicals too.

-Ben