Re: [CH] Thai dishes

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:12:23 -0500

At 08:25 AM 9/13/2002 -0400, Holm, Ben wrote:

>   I am going to a pot-luck party in a week with a Thai theme.  I've never
>cooked any Thai food, and I don't have any recipes.  I was hoping you all
>might have some recipes I could use.  There will be 15-20 people there - I
>don't have to feed them all myself, but I'm sure everyone will want to try
>everything.

Here are five that should get you started. Some are simple, some elaborate
and some merely look elaborate. If these don't suit try looking the
chile-head archives for recipes by Col IFK Philpott. The Colonel was a
prolific poster of authentic Thai recipes. IF you have trouble with the
archives, a Google search will turn several treasure troves of the
Colonel's stuff and other Thai recipe repositories.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Gaeng Pa Pla Dook  (Thai Jungle Style Cat Fish Curry)
  Categories: Loo, Seafood, Curry, Oriental
       Yield: 2 servings

       1 ts Kaffir lime zest (substitute
            Regular lime)
       1 ts Minced Galanga (Kha)
       1 tb Minced lemon grass
     1/2 c  Sliced chiles (red and
            Yellow if possible)
       1 tb Minced Kaempfer
       2 tb Minced garlic
       2 tb Minced red onions
       1 ts Shrimp paste
       2 c  Water
       1 c  Bite-sized catfish pieces
     3/4 c  Eggplant in 1" cubes
       2 tb Fish sauce
       2 tb Kaempfer, cut into thin
            Strips
     1/2 bn Basil leaves

   Grind lime zest, Galanga, lemon grass, chiles, Kaempfer, garlic,
   onions, and shrimp paste until smooth to make the curry paste. Add
   water if necessary. Combine water and the curry paste in a large
   saucepan. Bring to a boil. Drop in the fish and eggplant. Cover and
   return to a boil. Do not stir until the fish is cooked. Add fish
   sauce and stir lightly. Sprinkle Kaempfer strips and basil leaves.
   Cover and let stand 5 min before serving. Serve with cooked rice.

   * Origin - Lost in the Supermarket *

   FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen    Another Michael Loo Short Subject

MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Thai Chicken Wing Appetizers
  Categories: Appetizers, Thai, Bbq, Poultry
       Yield: 12 Servings

       3 lb Chicken wing drummettes

MMMMM--------------------------MARINADE-------------------------------
     1/4 c  Garlic, chopped, fine
       1 bn Cilantro
            - chop roots & lower stems,
            - reserve leaves for garnish
   1 1/2 ts Chilies, dried
       1 tb Sugar
     1/4 ts Salt
       1 ts Turmeric
       3 tb Fish sauce
       1 ts Curry powder

MMMMM-----------------------BASTING LIQUID----------------------------
     1/2 c  Coconut milk (canned is ok)

MMMMM-----------------------DIPPING SAUCE----------------------------
     1/2 ts Chili Flakes, dried
     1/4 ts Salt
     1/2 c  Vinegar
       2 cl Garlic
       1    Green onion; thinly sliced
       1 tb Cilantro, chopped
       1 tb Sugar, Brown

   Process all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth. Marinate
   chicken, refrigerated, overnight. Grill over hot coals until done,
   brushing frequently with coconut milk. Serve garnished with cilantro
   sprigs, accompanied by steamed rice and bowls of dipping sauce.

   DIPPING SAUCE: Pound first 4 ingredients to a paste with mortar and
   pestle, then dissolve in vinegar. Alternatively, put it all in a
   blender and blend until smooth. Float the green onions and cilantro
   on top.

MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Gai Yaang (Thai Barbecue Chicken)
  Categories: Poultry, Thai, Bbq
       Yield: 8 Servings

       8 cl Garlic; crushed
       1 tb Pepper; white, ground
     1/2 c  Coriander; chopped fine
       1 ts Salt
       1 ts Coriander; ground
       1 tb Red chile flakes
       2 tb Lime juice
       4 lb Chicken drumsticks

   Mix all ingredients thoroughly, coating the drumsticks on all
   surfaces. Marinate 30 minutes or better yet, overnight in the
   refridgerator. Barbecue over moderate charcoal fire for 30 minutes or
   until well-cooked on both sides. Serve with Nam Prik Dang.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Thai Green Curry Chicken with Basil
  Categories: Poultry, Thai, Curry
       Yield: 6 Servings

       3 cn Unsweetened coconut milk
            (do not shake can)
       3    Pieces galangal (Siamese
            Ginger)
       2 tb Fish sauce (nam pla)
       3 tb Fresh green curry paste
       2    Whole chicken breasts,
            Boned, skinned, cut into
            1-in. cubes
       8    Dried or fresh kaffir lime
            Leaves, or fresh citrus
            Leaves, washed
     3/4 c  Basil leaves (Thai basil or
            Standard green basil)
       4    Green serrano chilies,
            Slivered
       2 c  Fresh green peas, OR
       8 sm Thai eggplants
            Chicken stock or water, if
            Needed
            Hot cooked rice

   THAI GREEN CURRY CHICKEN WITH BASIL
   Tiny pea-size Thai green eggplants are cooked with this curry.
   You may substitute fresh garden peas which satisfies the
   visual appearance. Allow the coconut milk to stand for one hour or
   until it separates. Skim about 1 cup thick coconut cream off the top.
   Put coconut cream, galangal and fish sauce into a wok or saucepan.

   Cook, stirring over high heat until it becomes thick and oily. Add
   green curry paste and cook until it becomes aromatic, about 2
   minutes. Add chicken; cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes,
   stirring frequently. Add remaining 2 cups of coconut milk, citrus
   leaves, 1/2 cup of the basil, chilies and peas. Bring to a boil,
   stirring frequently, and simmer 5 minutes. Thin sauce with chicken
   stock or water. Garnish with remaining basil leaves. Serve hot with
   rice.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Shrimp with Thai Dipping Sauce
  Categories: Thai, Seafood, Appetizers
       Yield: 8 Servings

     2/3 c  Rice wine vinegar
       2 tb Honey
     1/2 c  Tightly packed fresh mint
            -leaves, chopped
       2 ts Nuoc mam or nam pla
       2 ts Low-sodium soy sauce
     1/3 c  Low-fat milk
       1 ts Dried crushed red pepper
       6 lg Garlic cloves, chopped
     1/2 ts Imitation cocount extract
       3 tb Minced lemongrass    -OR-
   1 1/2 ts Minced lime zest

MMMMM---------------------------SHRIMP--------------------------------
       2 lb Uncooked medium to large
            -shrimp, peeled, deveined

   Combine first ten ingredients in large bowl.  (Can be prepared up to
   one day ahead.  Cover and refrigerate.)  Bring pot of water to boil.
   Add shrimp and cook two minutes until opaque.  Drain.  Refresh under
   cold water and drain.  Add shrimp to sauce mixture and let stand 45
   minutes. Chill in refrigerator one hour.  (Can be prepared up to four
   hours ahead. Cover.) Transfer shrimp to platter.  Pour sauce into
   decorative bowl; place sauce in center of platter and serve.

   From Bon Appetit's Light & Easy Mar '93.

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!