RE: [CH] pepper jelly recipe request

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:11:38 -0400

Gary --

My recipe is fairly simple, but I have always been happy with the
results....

Pepper Jelly

3-4 cups seeded, rough chopped chiles (see note)
1.5 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 box powdered pectin
dash of kosher salt
few drops of food coloring (optional)

NOTE:  You might want to cut the chiles with some bell peppers if you are
using hot chiles (although I made one batch this year with 3 cups of
habaneros -- haven't tried it yet).  Either way, just look for 3-4 cups,
rough chopped.

Puree chiles with enough vinegar to lubricate the blades of your blender
(about half of the vinegar or so).  Combine puree, sugar, remaining vinegar,
and salt in saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes and
add food coloring (you don't need this, but it does make the jelly look
_significantly_ nicer).  Add pectin, return to a boil, and boil for exactly
one minute.  Pour into hot, sterilized jars, top with hot lids and rings and
invert the jars on a towel.  Allow jars to cool and refrigerate any that do
not seal.  NOTE 2:  I know that this method isn't "USDA approved" (they
require you to process the jars for 5 minutes) but I think that the jelly
has a nicer (thicker) consistency when it is not processed.  Besides, I have
always made it this way, my parents made jelly this way, my parents' parents
made jelly this way, my parents' parents' parents....well you get the idea.

My wife and I typically make three types of pepper jelly each year -- orange
(habanero), red (cayenne), and green (jalapeno) -- we adjust amounts and
color of bell peppers accordingly.  Good luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Geosystems Group
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology