Re: [CH] habanero yield

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:30:17 -0400

From: "Greg Jensen" <gjensen70@hotmail.com>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Subject: [CH] habanero yield

> Hello list,
>relatively small yield from the Habs I've planted (10
> to 15 per plant) but this year has been unbelievable. From the 5 plants
that
> grew in my garden this year I've gotten over 250 habs with another 50+
still
> on the plants. Calling upon the omnipotence of the list is this an
> abberation or is this a typical yield one expects from 5 plants and the
> yield I've experienced in years past is the abberation?
> Greg

We grow organically, using raised beds.

Average yield of a Hab plant:  500.

This year in the drought, maybe 300.

Robert Farr

My harvest falls somewhere between these extremes.
I used to grow Habs from seed but have found a great source locally.
Both Yellow & Red Habs average 25 *mature* fruit before first frost.
Note I wrote average & before frost.
If I left the Hab to it's own "growth" pattern I'd have 100's of immature
fruit.
I've been cutting buds, flowers & small fruit for the past 2 weeks.
Usually have a plant or 2 produce higher mature yields than average.
That's the ones I try to overwinter.
Greg, did you do *anything* different?
Location, watering habit, fertilizer change, etc.?
Was Mother Nature generous this year with sun & heat?
Just some thoughts as to reason for higher harvest yield.
Robert, what's your secret, organically speaking.
Paul