[CH] Re: Open Fields Red (was: white chili)

Dan Hirschi (danhirschi@earthlink.net)
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 20:34:11 -0400

At 09:28 AM 10/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Actually, if didn't even come out that white - more of a light tan/beige
>color.

I always thought of it as "white beans that get colored by the chiles" added...

>Which chiles do you prefer to use (I seem to recall most of the white
>chilis I've had in the past have used green chiles, usually jalapenos or
>seranos.  .... How do you acheive the right texture?  etc. etc.

Lots of roasted large/medium hot chiles.  If I can't find those, roasted
bell peppers and roasted small hot chiles.  Either way, lots of roasted chiles.

Here's what I did for the white chili.  The recipe was written for the
Hot-Luck in Madison--and was an adaptation of what I did with my chiles
from the last open fields...  For open fields I made the chile ahead so I
would only have to add the roasted ingredients at the site.

As it was an adaptation from green chile recipes, I'm sure it would work
with any color theme, yellow tomatoes with yellow chiles, etc.

Dan

Open Fields Red

Modified by Dan Hirschi from Don Fernando's Green Chile Stew (with
extensive modifications by S. Badian) and Green Chile Stew By Scott Fisher
from the Chile Recipe Collection Volime 1

1 lb Great Northern Beans

3 lb pork loin, cut in 1" cubes

2 onions chopped

8 cloves garlic, crushed

juice of 1 lime

1 cup Mexican beer

4 cups chicken broth

[about 3 1/2 lbs various red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
~1 lb red bell, ~1/2 lb red fresno, 2 lb cherry hot, 3-4 long skinny red
peppers (Thai hot or cayenne?)] this became: a big bag of mixed and mostly
large red chiles from Jim's field, roasted in Hobby Farmer's roaster,
peeled and diced.

1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes [these were omitted--was going to get fresh
from Jim's landlord, but failed...]

2 bay leaves

1 Tbsp cumin

1 Tbsp New Mexico chile powder [only use this if you have to use red bell
peppers to make up the 3 pounds of fresh chiles--was omitted for open fields]

2 tsp oregano

salt and pepper

Soak and cook beans until tender.

In a soup pot, saute pork in olive oil.  Remove.

Add onions and garlic to pot and saute until onions are softened.

Add lime juice and then beer. Then add chicken broth, [peppers and
tomatoes]. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Add meat, beans (included cooking water), oregano, cumin, bay leaf, chile
powder, salt and pepper. Stir.

[freeze chile and transport to party.  thaw.  add roasted chiles and simmer]

Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.