Re: [CH] Old Peppersass

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:24:19 -0400

Yes Alex, 1 of New England's claim's to fame, the first "cog" railway to
climb grades of 25% through Jacob's ladder as I remember. Rode it in the
early 70's for the first & last time. Dirty, smoky, stinky (unless the wind
is blowing correctly, I've been told by people who have enjoyed it). & it
only costs 50 bucks per person to have hot coal pumped into the air your
trying to breath. One of those memories you want to forget....but can't.
Reference to "Old Peppersass" at these URL's & others.

http://www.thecog.com/history.html
http://www.thecog.com/history4.html

I guess I'm part of history because I visited the gift shop in the third
Summit House that was destroyed in '80. Wish I could remember what I bought.

http://www.thecog.com/history10.html
The third Summit House was built on the site of the previous one, and was
opened in August, 1915. The 1 1/2-story structure had far less capacity than
its predecessor, but it had electric lights, steam heat and hot and cold
running water. It continued as a hotel until 1967, when it was finally
closed to overnight guests.
Thereafter, it served as a restaurant and gift shop until 1980. In April of
that year, the old hotel was deliberately burned to make room for the
construction of the present concrete and steel summit building.

On 2nd thought, I don't think I had any money left after paying for me &
fiancé's tickets, then a little food at summit.
Paul