Re: [CH] hot roast V8 #602

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:35:26 -0400

Hi C-H's,

Risa (of prodigious recipe output) wrote:

>I do something similar with chicken or a beef roast -
>make slits in the fat (on beef) or in skin of chicken,
>stuff with garlic slices and jalapeno slices and then
>roast. Yummy.
>
>If doing a beef roast, put it in a slow oven (250
>degrees) for 5 hours. If doing a chicken, about an
>hour or so.

Chicken is not very critical, but I am a stickler for having my
expensive beef perfectly cooked! The trick is to have the outside
nicely browned and the middle pink. Accordingly, after browning the
meat on all sides in a stove top pan, I often insert a thermocouple
into the center of the beef and cook it at about 220degF until the
internal temperature rises to 130degF. Then, removing the beef from
the oven and letting it sit on the counter for 10-20min you will
probably see the internal temperature rise into the desired
150-160degF range. Cooking time for a 3lb chunk of meat will
typically be a couple of hours, but this will vary depending upon the
cut of meat and whether there are bones in it or not. (Bone conducts
heat better than meat.)

You must cook pretty sizeable chunks of cow Risa!
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.

PS - Thermocouple cooking also great for getting big turkeys just
right. IMO money invested in temperature measuring equipment is
better spent than that blown on cheap soil pH meters. Of course you
can do both with the same basic gear......