Re: [CH] Fish tank or green house?

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:23:27 -0600

Diane Salts wrote:

> I have acquired a 70 gal Tall fish tank which I would like to turn it upside down and use it  to make a "mini" green house or cold frame. Does anyone think this is a feasible thing? I live in western Washington and would like to try to save the Jals and Habs. I don't see the use of bringing the plants in when Ruby the whippet will just eat them. LOL
> Thanks
> Diane

  Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I haven't read ahead of it...

  You might want to leave it upright for ease of access to whatever you eventually put into it.  You should be able to go to your local pet supply place / fish store and get hinge pieces and handles that will accommodate a 1/4" thick glass top, which should provide nearly as much insulation as turning it upside down.  You will likely have to go to a
glass place to get the tops made to the correct dimensions to cover the entire opening, as standard tops usually leave a pretty substantial gap for routing cords and placing filters, etc.  But you'll save a ton buying the stuff and assembling it yourself over getting the aquarium manufacturer's specified cover anyway.  And you'll also have the benefit
of deciding exactly how wide you want your accessible openings to be.

  If you decide you still need a tank for fish, etc., my wife is desperate to get rid of her 72 g. All Glass Bow-Front reef system...   :-)))

--
Erich
C-H # 2099