Re: [CH] Caribbean sauce recipes (long)

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:34:12 -0800

T. Matthew Evans wrote:
> Alex --
>
> Many of the recipes call for malt vinegar -- do you think they mean the
> "fish and chips" type, or are they referring to something else (cider
> vinegar)?  I have often found that in older cookbooks, some of the
> nomenclature can be quite a bit different to that which we currently use.
Matt et al....Malt vinegar is the old English fish and chip vinegar,
still used here in Canada, as it likely is in other former British
colonies. It has a much different flavour than "white" or pickling
vinegar, and it is indispensible in REAL fish & chips, which can still
be found in a good old fashioned Fish & Chip joint. Because of the fact
that there is a very predominant English(read Limey!)population in
Victoria BC there are still some of these around. Cheers, Doug in BC