Re: [CH] OTOT (Off Topic; On Tofu)

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:00:02 -0800

George Nelson wrote:
> Tofu protein made a decent Bavarian Cream as a replacement for the fat.
> Hmm.  It also works in ice cream.  This is in line with the low-fat frozen
> yogurts that have a texture that almost approximates a regular ice cream.
> Gelled proteins give the parallel properties as fats.  This is worth more
> experiments using tofu or yogurt.  I second the hab powder in the tofu ice
> cream...with maybe apricots on the side...?  Peaches in the OF ice cream
> sounded heavenly.
>
> George Nelson

Hi George, a long time ago, I decided to make tofu, seeing as I had all
the info in my various Chinese cook books. If you have never done this,
my advice is DON'T !! It is a pain in the butt, long time to make it,
and because I did not have the blocks and boxes,etc that the Chinese
have, the product, although, tofu, was not nearly as good as the real
stuff from the market. However, I did make some, and proved to myself
that it could be done, and in that regard, I was satisfied! Much easier
and more tasty than mine! Even if I hate to admit it! Guess ya gotta be
   Chinese,or Japonese to make this in any quantity, successfully!
Cheers, Doug up the road, somewhat!