Re: [CH] Re: apple cider (was fermentation)

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:26:47 -0600

At 09:30 AM 11/27/2002 -0500, Greg Mortensen wrote:

>Dave Drum wrote:
> >In colonial times when Americans were known as "Jonathans" to our Pommy
> >forebears cider was, indeed, fermented apple juice. And applejack was
> >brandy distilled from cider.
>
>I can't remember the source (it was probably "The Alaskan Bootleggers
>Bible"), but I was under the impression that our forefather's applejack
>was produced by "jacking" the cider (i.e. fractional crystallization:
>freezing the cider, and discarding the ice) and not distillation.

I think both terms are correct. I know "raisin jack" is a potent brew from
fermented raisins (without distillation or other enhancement). And I do
know that Laird's does distill their applejack. I assume that pioneers may
have "jacked" their cider in the manner of, say, a "Princeton Tiger
Martini" which  uses hooch that has lived in the freezer for a while til
all but the alcohol has solidified.

And if you move your applejack to Frenchy land it becomes Calvados.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!