Re: [CH] Heatless Habaneros

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:00:29 -0500

I also noted that they had the Jalapeno listed at 25000 scovilles when it
is usually listed at 2500 to 5000.  Jeesh, people gotta research these
things!  Not to mention the affront to all chileheads by claiming that
these eunich habs were developed for "chile lovers everywhere."

Blasphemy!

=Mark

At 10:39 AM 12/17/02 -0800, John Caldwell wrote:
>It's not just your imagination!  I've found that it is completely hit or
>miss around here.  I had completely written off the habs at any grocery
>store in the area here (huntington beach, ca) until I found one store that
>had some with some kick.  I popped a piece the size of a dime in my mouth
>while cooking a while back, and yowee!  It actually had some kick to it.
>Prior to this, all the ones I had were almost edible whole.
>
>Anybody out there near the coast, either east or west?  I'm planning on
>starting a small pepper garden this spring, and I was wondering if anybody
>had some tips.  Namely- I have read that some of the hotter peppers need
>fairly high temperatures (85 F. or above) to really thrive.  We only get a
>few of those days here a year, how will that affect the yield or the peppers
>themselves?  Should I even try growing something like a red savina?
>

> > DEGREES OF HEAT
> >
> > Chile peppers are rated in Scoville heat units:
> >
> > 577,000 Rating of the habanero Red Savina
> >
> > 25,000 Rating of a normal jalapeņo
> >
> > 835 Suave Orange
> >
> > 580 Suave Red
> >
> > [COMMENT:  580?  That probably isn't much "hotter" than a bell pepper!
>RS]
> > .

          @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @

               Dyslexic, Agnostic, Insomniac...

                   Lying awake at night, Wondering if there is a Dog.