Re: [CH] Copyright Laws - Food Formulations

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:36:52 -0600

At 02:12 PM 1/5/2003 +1100, mark@artisansrus.com wrote:
>G'day All,
>
>Hey can someone answer me a questions please. Can you copyright a recipe or
>a method/formulation of making foodstuff whether it be a hotsauce or
>cheddar cheese or cake recipe?
>Is there international copyright law?  What do you need to change for a
>"recipe" to become yours?

We've had this discussion ad nauseum on the FIDO cooking echoes. Each
country has its own copyright laws. Other countries honor them (or not) by
international copyright conventions (treaties).

You can _not_ copyright an ingredients list. You _can_ copyright directions
and comments. I assume that your methodology would be a part of the
directions and thus copyrightable. If you are doing a cookbook the design,
layout, and text arrangements are copyrightable. But, the ingredients lists
and the very titles of the recipes (other than "proper" names) are not
protectable.

If you are using an unique process or new and different way to achieve your
results the process _may_ be patentable... but, that's a different keg of
nails.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!