Re: [CH] World's hottest pepper--not the Red Savina?

thepepperman@cs.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:45:44 -0500

Craig Dremann <craig@ecoseeds.com> wrote:

>Would you trust your own tongue?  Why do we need machines to tell us
>what the hottest pepper, when the purpose in the end is to eat them
>anyway?
>
>Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City Seed Co.

Once you get to the upper reaches of heat levels the difference between one pod and another is virtually indistinguishable by taste. Also affecting the perception of heat is the manner in which they are prepared/served, what you're eating them with, how many peppers you've eaten in the last few days, etc...

Until someone decides to stop advertising something as being "The world's hottest!" which is such a subjective description, the only thing we can go on is capsaicin content.

So... Like I said before, "Show me the numbers!"

Jeff, who does not buy from people who make obvious sales pitches on mailing lists, and who would not even bother responding except that he gets tired of hearing "World's hottest this and World's biggest that" all the time.

Flame away!