Re: [CH] Strange Pepper - Need I. D. please!

harryo (harryo@dtnspeed.net)
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:58:28 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Thompson" <jeffthompson@mac.com>
To: "John Caldwell" <jcald@3wheel.net>
Cc: "chefmad" <chefmad@earthlink.net>; "Chile-Heads Digest"
<chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Strange Pepper - Need I. D. please!

> If they ripen to a dark purple (almost black) and if the leaves are dark
green-sometimes with a dark purple shading, then what you've got is
NIGHTSHADE!!!! I had some of thise in MY yard too (growning where I normally
plant my peppers). I'm glad I checked it out before tasting any of them.

> http://kaweahoaks.com/html/nightshade.html

Black nightshade is pretty easy to identify.  The veins of the leaves will
be alternate and the underside of the leaves will have a purplish tint.  The
berries are pretty much round and really are much more like a berry than a
chile pod.  That is, they are filled with a very watery pulp along with the
seeds, especially mature, black berries.  They have a thin, soft skin and
will easily mash between the fingers.  All parts of the plant should be
considered highly poisonous.  Some suggest the berries loose their toxicity
when ripe and birds and other animals eat them readily.  I have even heard
of humans eating the ripe berries for medicinal purposes, although I would
certainly not suggest you do so.

Harry