[CH] chile greens (leaves)

Jim Weller (jweller@ssimicro.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:14:58 -0700

From: AllenMrsh@netscape.net (Allen Marshall)
Subject: [CH] RE: Nightshades

Byron wrote:
> I think you will find that tomato's potatoes, peppers, eggplant,
> tobacco and about 2,500 more plants belong in the Nightshade aka
> solanacae plant family.

> This brings up a point that hopefully isn't a dead horse on
> the list:  chile greens.
>Is the jury still out on whether the leaves of chiles are too toxic for
humans?

Not at all. Chile leaves are totally edible. They're a common pot green in
the Philippines and Papua New Guinea according to an Australian buddy of
mine who travels there frequently. I save all my leaves and use them in
soups and stews when I prune back my plants prior to over wintering them.
They are quite mild and add a nice herbal flavour to dishes.

Cheers

YK Jim