Re: Belize [Re: [CH] Habanero Pronunciation]

AndyB (quark@erols.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:10:44 -0500

Tucker,

I have also been pronouncing the "h".  However, from the dictionary of Epicurious:
(http://www.epicurious.com/run/fooddictionary/browse?entry_id=8515)

           habanero chile     [ah-bah-NEH-roh]
    vs.    jalapeņo chile    [hah-lah-PEH-nyoh]

Just like the British who "ardly pronounce the aitch".

AndyB