Re: Belize [Re: [CH] Habanero Pronunciation]

AndyB (quark@erols.com)
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:27:34 -0500

When I ask a Greek store owner how I should pronounce it, they say anyway is fine, e.g. gyro(scope).  (The fact that you are ordering it is far more important to them than how you pronounce it!)

I had to get more precise with my question: When I ask them how _they_ would pronounce in a family environment, they pronounce it as "hero".  More accurately, they pronounce it, as best as I describe, "(g)hero" (small fraction of "g" - large fraction of "h") - this is not something that I can pronounce.  Also, definite "e" vs "i" or "y".

By any pronunciation, gyros are good.
AndyB