RE: [CH] Open Fields- need some input

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:55:53 -0500

Jim,

I vote for the Hot-Luck.  Variety for those who want it and identification
should generate some good discussion.  The common favorites will be readily
identified by almost everyone.  The only problem might be a very tall plant
"shading out" a normally short plant.

Blue skies,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of
jim@wildpepper.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 4:19 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] Open Fields- need some input

Second notice :-)  September 27th & 28th  Posters available soon...
right Jeff? :-)

Folks- a combination of things (greenhouse mostly) is casuing me to do
the open fields a little bit different this year.  I've been killing the
greenhouse folks having them sow 40 different varieties '100 of this,
100 of that' for the event.  They have informed me that they are only
going to do minimums of 500 each variety.

I need input from those planning to attend, or even those who have an
opinion on it ;-)

1.  Do I do a blind 'hotluck' of seeds encompassing many different
varieties for which we will have little info as to what is what, or;

2.  Do I drastically reduce the number of varieties available and have a
clear map of what's what.

They will allow me to dump several varieties together to meet the 500
minimum.  If I do this, I can have a lot of different varieties (30-40)
but not much clue as to what is what other than a list of what was in
the dump and best guesses in the field.  If I don't, I will have very
clearly marked what's what, but not a whole lot of variety (15-20).

You tell me.  Vote for either 1 or 2.  Thanks!

-Jim C
Mild to Wild