RE: [CH] Heatless Rocotos?

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:04:57 -0500

John,

I buy Manzanos, aka Rocotos, at the local Mexican groceries frequently.  The
heat does vary somewhat there, although I notice no overall difference
between the few red that are mixed in with the orange.  These peppers are
fussy as far as storage, they seem to dislike moisture.  I store them with a
paper towel in the bag, while they are in the fridge.  They seem to have a
fairly short shelf life in the grocery.  Since moch of the heat is
concentrated in the placenta, I am real careful in removing the seeds.  I
scrape the tips of the seeds with the edge of a knife and they come off,
leaving most of the placenta.  If the pepper is very ripe, the placenta is
weaker and some of it comes off with the seeds.  Regarding growing them,
I've found with most peppers that they are hotter in hot, dry conditions.
If I water them, I wait till the leaves are beginning to droop.  I
overwintered a Purira that is now bearing fruit after blooming late last
month.  I will see how the heat does, but I am expecting less than fruits
set in August.

Blue skies and hot chiles,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Love2Troll
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 10:40 AM
To: chile-heads
Subject: [CH] Heatless Rocotos?

I just picked the very last of my overwintering orange rocoto pods.  Looked
wonderful, but had absolutely no heat or flavor whatsoever.  The very first
pod from this plant was hot, but not as hot as my red rocotos and much tamer
than my yellow rocotos.  My early yellows were hotter than my Red Savinas &
orange habs.  (to me)  Does the amount of light have something to do with
heat level?  All my indoor varieties declined in pod heat as the winter went
on.  My plants are only getting sunlight from a large south window.

Does anyone else grow orange rocotos?  How is the heat level of your pods?
And lastly, should I even bother to save seeds from the heatless pods?

JohnT