RE: [CH] Heatless Rocotos?

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:32:39 -0500

I can't quite do the wax thing, I get too much of that from the grocery.  I
might try a bit of the olive oil.  I will try the tupperware idea, a couple
months on the end of the season sounds like a dream come true.  I try to be
as organic as possible, but not to the point of obsession.
Blue skies,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Love2Troll
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 6:23 PM
To: chile-heads
Subject: Re: [CH] Heatless Rocotos?

> Frank writes:  "They seem to have a fairly short shelf life in the
grocery."

> Tom writes:  "Yet they seem to have the longest fridge life (up to sever
months in
Tupperware)."

Would guess that it's air & warmth that does the damage.  I make tube-like
custom bags with my vacuum sealer when I store in my fridge.  Just snip the
end off when I use several and reseal the remainder.  Do the same for those
I store in my freezer.

When shipping peppers I sometimes coat them with a mixture of olive oil and
paraffin to extend their life.  I wipe off excess with a cotton cloth.  A
grocery manager once told me that they coated their peppers with carnauba
wax to extend shelf life.

JohnT