Re: [CH] EXPENSIVE SEEDLINGS?

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:15:03 -0600

Fred Morris wrote:

> Hey Erich, not wanting to take any business away from Susan, but growing
> seedlings can be pretty simple and inexpensive.  You can get one of
> those little plastic tray planters from Wally World for $3-4, and 24
> inch shop light at same place for $10 more.  That'll grow you 72
> seed-lings - all you need is a corner of a room to put it in.  I've gone
> a couple of steps further, put an old heating pad under the tray for
> bottom heat, ...
>
> Fred the habanernut

  Hi Fred!

  I already have trays and covers, which I adapted to cover taller
seedlings,  from previous years.  It's just that I don't really have as good
of a place to try starting them here as I did at our previous residence.  I
thought about doing the lights and the heat pads, but I really don't have
the room to string them up under the seedlings.  The basement has become a
sort of dumping ground during house projects, so I have to find a place
upstairs to put the trays.  That won't lend itself to hanging any kind of
lighting, so I'm just going to put them in the warmest room that still has a
window.  They likely won't do as well as years past, but then, my gardening
space is pretty small anyway...

--
Erich
C-H # 2099