Re: [CH] Re-using Seed Trays

RisaG (radiorlg@yahoo.com)
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:50:09 -0800 (PST)

I always re-use my seed trays. I have little window
greenhouses, the bottoms made of a styrofoam stuff and
then it has a top made of plastic. I have had these
things for years. I just make sure all the old
soil-less mix is washed out, I scrub them well and
then I let them dry. I have been doing this for years
on end. Can't remember how many years I've had these -
maybe 9? I have had no plants with diseases, no damp
off problems, no scraggly seedlings.

Once about every 3 years or so, I buy a bigger one
that fits more seedlings. If you are trying to grow 10
kinds of chiles and you have 3-5 seeds of each plus
trying to grow 15 kinds of heirloom tomatoes and you
have 3-5 seeds of each, you need a lot of space. Once
in awhile a "greenhouse" breaks and I go to Wal-Mart
and buy something similar. Also, some of these
greenhouse things have bottom parts that separate or
rip when you try and get the seedlings out.

Anyway, I always re-use. Never was told not to.

--- "T. Matthew Evans" <matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu>
wrote:
> > I already have trays and covers, which I adapted
> to cover taller
> > seedlings,  from previous years.
>
> This brings up an interesting point - I was going to
> start seeds last night,
> but then I recalled that I had read somewhere that
> one should always use
> impeccably clean trays for seed starting

=====
RisaG

Risa's Food Service
http://www.geocities.com/radiorlg