[CH] Tonight's Dinner - Left Overs

Dan Turkette (dan@tekinteractive.com)
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:13:06 -0500

[Exported from: Bachin' when the Wife's out with her friends - v 1.0]

My Wife brought home a sausage roll (leftover from her lunch yesterday) from
Lexy's, a Famous Fort Wayne, IN Pizzeria. I nuked it, then smothered it in
Jim's Mild to Wild Fiery Hot Habanero Sauce. I topped that off with a nice
glass of Chianti.

Ooh lah-laa :-)

Still snifflin from the heat... reelin' from the carbs. Atkins has it so
wrong....

Dan
www.americanspice.com

-----Original Message-----
From: RisaG [mailto:radiorlg@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 6:50 PM
To: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com; CHILE-PEPPER-RECIPE@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CH] Tonight's Dinner - Black Bean Barbecue Chili

This was tonight's dinner. Very good and simple to put
together - altho' there are 3 steps. It is a crockpot
recipe essentially.

I used Somersized homemade barbecue sauce for the
hickory bbq sauce it originally asked for. I also
didn't have chipotle en adobo so i used 1 tsp ground
chipotle and put it in with the tomatoes. Recipe
Crumbles are frozen texturized vegetable protein that
looks like ground meat. If you don't like soy
products, use some ground sausage or meat of some kind
and cook it before putting it into the c/p. I find the
Recipe Crumbles in the frozen section with the other
TVP products - Boca Burgers, Morningstar Farms
Grillers, stuff like that. it is made by Morningstar
Farms.

The chili was very good.

*  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                Spicy Black Bean Barbecue Chili
(adapted)

Recipe By     : Betty Crocker Slow Cooker, Feb 2003,
p. 52
Categories    : Beans                            Chili
& Stew
                Crockpot                         Main
Dish

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation
Method
--------  ------------
--------------------------------
   1      cup           dried black beans -- sorted &
rinsed
   5      cups          water
   2      tsp           olive oil
     1/2  lg            onion -- chopped
   3      cloves        garlic -- minced
   2      cups          water
   7      oz            diced tomatoes (1/2-15 oz can)
-- undrained
   1      tsp           ground chipotle
     1/2  cup           Somersized Barbecue Sauce
   1      cup           Recipe Crumbles -- frozen
     1/2                green bell pepper -- diced
                        sour cream -- for garnish

Heat beans and 5 cups water to boiling in large
saucepan; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes;
remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.

Heat oil in 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook onion and garlic in oil about 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until onion is tender and browned a bit.

Drain beans. Place beans in 4 qt crockpot. Add 2 cups
water and onion mixture.

Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours or until beans
are tender. Stir in tomatoes, chipotle, barbecue
sauce, and frozen Recipe Crumbles. Cover and cook on
HIGH for 30 minutes.

Serve chili sprinkled with bell pepper and sour cream.
Makes 4 servings (about 1-1/2 cups each).

1 serving: 350 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 840mg
sodium, 66g carbo, 0mg chol, 11g dietary fiber, 22g
protein

Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 very lean meat, 1 vegetable

=====
RisaG

Risa's Food Service
http://www.geocities.com/radiorlg