Re: [CH] oven full of habs

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:04:06 -0800

Tony Flynn wrote:

> [...]
We had milk delivery by horse and wagon from my earliest memory, which
is about 1930
and also bread and ice the same way. I can recall, following the ice man
  waiting for him to give us kids a couple of good sized chunks when he
split the blocks. Ice could be bought in 25, 50 or 100 lb blocks,
depending on how big your ice box was. Milk was delivered in 1 qt
bottles, Imperial qts, and there was no such thing in the ealy thirties
as homogenized milk, so the cream was always at the top of the bottle,
and in winter, when it froze, it would lift the cap right off the bottle
and my mother would take the frozen cream off and put it in her little
cream jug to thaw. When the milk thawed, she would shake it well before
putting the bottle in the ice box! Milk, ice and coal were the only
things that got delivered to our house, I was chased off to the grocery
store for bread and a morning paper. We also had a dairy two blocks away
but my mother preferred to have it delivered. The dairy had fabulous
milk shakes, for 10 cents, and there was also a Scotch bakery in the
same block where a hot meat pie could be bought for the same amount! Ice
cream cones were a nickel, triple dips were a dime...those days I was
not lactose intolerant, not until my early teens, did I gag on milk! Oh
well, life goes on! By late teens, I was introduced to chiles in
California, and the rest is history! In truth, I guess it all is
:-)Cheers, Doug in BC