RE: [CH] Self Preservation

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:09:40 -0500

Walter --

To my knowledge, the vinegar is required to lower the pH to a safe level.
However, when using pure vinegar (as in your method), a pressure cooker is
not required.  Rather, a deep stock pot will do -- just boil the jars 10
minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.  I have had very good luck with
this method using whole, chopped, and pureed chiles -- regardless of the
consistency, about 2 teaspoons of kosher salt per pint works well.  Good
luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology