Re: [CH] Frozen seeds

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:53:32 -0600

Tony Flynn,

The seeds I harvested from frozen whole yellow rocoto pods (in my freezer) would not germinate.  Ones harvested from the same plant and dried first literally jumped out of the ground.

My guess is that the freezing before drying caused cellular damage.  Maybe only unique to C. pubescens?  Only one experience and might or might not be meaningful.

JohnT in 77° KC
----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Flynn
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 5:31 PM
Subject: [CH] Frozen seeds

Hi all,

Cooler Sunday morning as daylight saving ends for another year. Spring in
the North eh ?

Picking a couple of litres of chiles this morning, to put in the freezer I
wondered if the seeds are still viable after being in the freezer for a few
months. Any ideas anybody ?

Tony Flynn
Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand

---